Born in Cornwall, UK in 1978, Chris is a freelance composer, arranger, orchestrator and consultant.
A multi-instrumentalist, he learnt piano, guitar, brass and percussion from a young age, studying with excellent and inspiring teachers which have contributed to his passion and commitment to music.
Chris studied composition and orchestration with composers Patric Standford, Paul McKinley and Robin Hoffmann, with further work under, amongst others, Dr Mick Wilson and Prof Alan Williams during his Masters in Composition work at the University of Salford – Manchester.
Chris’ works have recently been performed, commisioned or are scheduled to be performed by diverse ensembles such as:
- Manchester Camerata – Chamber Orchestra (UK)
- Harlequin Chamber Choir – SATB (UK)
- Izhevsk Chamber Choir – SATB (Russia)
- Parkrose High School – SATB Choir (Portland OR, US)
- Coro Baba Yetu – SATB Choir (Rome, Italy)
- Halit Kasapolli Choir – SATB (Peje, Kosovo)
- Newstead Abbey Singers – SATB Choir (UK)
- Arsa Nova Koro – Choir (Istanbul, Turkey)
- AA Giannitsa – Choir (Pella, Greece)
- Nottinghamshire Police Band – Concert Band (UK)
- Bagong Himig Serenata – SATB Choir (Manilla, Philippines)
- Ema Potevska & Branco Pavlovski – Piano/Clarinet (Skopje, Macedonia)
- University of Warsaw – SATB Choir (Poland)
- Cranborune Chorale – SATB Choir (Melbourne, AUS)
- Brandon Symphony Orchestra (Canada)
- Accragio – SATB Choir (Accra, Ghana)
- John A Ferguson Falcon Singers (Florida, US)
- Cantelentia – SATB Choir (Austria)
- FMV Ayazağa – Choir (Turkey)
- Many other choir, chamber and instrumental performances around the world including UK, US, Germany, Netherlands, Indonesia, India, Brazil, Israel and beyond!
Chris was commissioned to write a large amount of pieces for Trinity College London’s Music Tracks syllabus and was commissioned to re-design their improvisation option for practical exams. He also provided consultancy on their own composition option, and rewrote the aural tests and sight singing books amongst other compositional services for the board.
Increasingly in demand as an arranger, recent clients include several choir and commercial publishers, orchestras and also the Royal Opera House. Get in touch with your requirements.
An Associate of Trinity College London, he is also an experienced teacher, musical director, accompanist and session musician, working with theatre companies, performing arts groups, media companies and schools in a wide range of genres.
Chris tutors undergraduates at the OCA ( The Open College of the Arts ), a distance learning Higher Education organisation which is part of the University of the Creative Arts, and blogs on music issues with the other music staff on WeAreOCA. He co-wrote their new Foundation Course in Music and is helping to development their BA (hons) degree in music.
Chris is currently Director of Music for the parish of Linby and Papplewick, Nottinghamshire, and is also organist at St Michael’s South Normanton, All Saints Annesley and St Helen’s Selston.
Current compositional services include writing for:
Concert Music (Choir, Orchestral, Chamber, Instrumental)
Education and Examination Music
Other work can also be provided, including:
- Midi mock-ups
- Recording and Session Work
- Transcriptions and Take-Downs
- Teaching/Mentoring/Student Support (from GCSE to HE)
- Educational Consultancy, Development and Testing
Do get in contact with your requirements HERE.
Other projects currently underway include: a work for Saxophone & Fixed Media, a work for saxophone choir, a collection of Christmas music arrangements, various educational books for publishing, and an exceptionally exciting new musical, After It Rains, alongside lyricist Samantha Joy.
Sheet music can be purchased via this site or at Moonhouse Music, Amazon, Masquerade Music, Sheet Music Plus and JW Pepper, with more publishers and distributors to be announced in 2020 when a major review of catalogue work is due to be completed.
Chris lives in Derbyshire with his partner (and fellow composer) Keri Degg and their dog Lola.